Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Personal Encounters WIth Racism


 Anonymous said...
I haven't felt discriminated and I think there's an American view of Asian Americans in a highly static way in that Asian Americans are either asexual nerds or overly sexualised fetishes for males and females, respectively which only feeds into the western discourse of orientalism.
May 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Anonymous Anonymous said...
3rd grade we were learning history and talking about pearl harbor when the Japanese bombed it. we were all sitting down on the floor together and my teacher was talking. when she said the Japanese bombed pearl harbor, my friend turned around and looked right at me. I have no idea why she did that and what the 'look' was insinuating. I dont know but i felt like i was being discriminated because she made me feel uncomfortable and as if pearl harbor was somehow my fault and my family's fault. (even as a third grader, silly i know) I know that after that day i had a small chip on my shoulder toward my friend and it hurt me for so long which is silly because we were 9! If i could go back to that day I would have not taken that moment so seriously and hurtful and let go of that tiny grudge. let me say I did not have to think hard about this story. I was proud to be a Japanese -American and I still am and I proud of my heritage. I think that is why I still feel a little hurt by that one, tiny motion.
May 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Some guy was trying to con people into giving him money for a bus tickets back home for him and "his wife" and he came up to me and was like "hello" "hi" "do you speak English?"
my friends get excited when I eat Asian food
like rice or anything
or if we get Chinese food they're always like you're the only one who can eat with chopsticks 'cause you're asian
May 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I remember being called jackie chan or jet li in school
saying things to me in the kung-fu accent in dubbed movies. I remember also the eye thing.. the one where people pull the ends of their eyelids to look asian..
If i could go back in time, i'd probably give a blank stare or something.
My girlfriend cracks on me all the time for being asian
May 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Anonymous Anonymous said...
When I first came to Oneonta, I was extremely worried about discrimination for being Asian, since the statistic was 3%. When I actually got here, a lot of people, predominantly white, were shocked to hear an American accent come out of my mouth... Most people have never heard of the Philippines either! The statistic of Asians in my school has definitely risen with the increase of international students attending Oneonta. These students were Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. Most of the international students told me I was not a true Asian. They didn't even identify the Philippines as an Asian country. I get really annoyed when ever I hear it, too when it comes out in conversation. Even Miyu says, that she is a true Asian and that I'm not because I'm filipino. It usually pisses me off.
May 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Anonymous Anonymous said...
During middle school I remember kids would assume I liked anime and manga. A bunch of Asian American kids would get together at recess and sit at a table and draw anime characters. I never got into anime or manga and I never even sat down at that table during recess, but if I wanted to play football or hang out with other “white” kids they’d ask me why I’m not hanging out with the Asian kids. I felt like they wanted to cast me out and conveniently categorize me into a group. I’d overhear kids calling out other Asian American kids for their academic capabilities and instead of saying they’re advanced they’d say “his level is ASIAN.” Asians in my school were also more vulnerable to bullying. I think it was because other kids would assume we would be quiet and passive when confronted. In middle school I didn’t really have a sense of style and I was a victim to being stereotyped (completely based on physical appearance, not clothing). But by high school I started wearing outfits to make me look tougher and I learned to speak up if someone was harassing me.

No comments: